'Send me on my way.'

We have spoken so frequently and intensely about leadership this last week. What is a leader? what are leadership qualities? Are you a leader? I'm caught on this last one, because I can tell you what I love in other leaders and why I love it. The only problem is that I cannot identify any of these qualities in myself.

I want, I want, I want to be inspirational, motivational, enlightening, approachable and admirable. But I cannot picture it. I see me as 'me'. As the little girl in her fairy dress, as the girl crying because she didn't get invited to a birthday party, the girl who threw a tantrum because her mum wouldn't let her eat chocolate. I do not see my self on any podium let alone someone else's pedestal. The thought of getting up in front of hundreds of teenage girls with my greatest desire and leaving it in their capable hands absolutely terrifies me. To take my fate out of my own control and leave it in theirs is one of my greatest fears.

One of the most inspirational people I've ever known taught me not to compare myself to others, but to rise to their level. And so I must, I must do this if I am going to exceed expectation. Mine. Mums. Theirs. Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think..